How to Find a Great Pet Sitter in Liberty Lake
Summertime is here, and your family may have trips planned. If your vacation plans don’t allow you to bring your pet along, it may be time to find a quality pet sitter. You want to leave your furry friend with someone you can trust, someone you know will love him almost as much as you do. Here are some tips for choosing a pet sitter in the Liberty Lake, Washington area.
Why Hire a Pet Sitter?
Why not just board your dog? The best person for your dog is you. If you can’t be there, a pet sitter offers the following benefits:
- Your pet stays in a familiar environment.
- They still have their regular diet and routine.
- They don’t have the stress of being around strange animals.
- They have the pet sitter’s undivided attention.
- You have the peace of mind of knowing your pet is safe, happy, and at home.
How to Find the Right Pet Sitter
- Start early. As soon as you start to research your trip, begin looking for a pet sitter. The best pet sitters get booked far ahead during peak vacation times and have steady work throughout the year.
- Consider a wide variety of options. Some pet sitters stop by a few times a day to check on your pet, feed, and groom him, and take him to stretch his legs. Others are willing to stay with your pet full-time or take him to their own home for extra attention. Remember that having someone come and go at your home will make it look lived-in. Not only will the pet sitter care for your pet, they’ll make your home less attractive to burglars.
- Check referrals. Ask your veterinarian and your friends who have pets if they can recommend a responsible pet sitter. Post a poll on social media to get referrals. The National Association of Professional Pet Sitters and Pet Sitters International are both organizations that can recommend sitters who are bonded, insured, and have solid references.
- Prepare to interview. Before you meet your pet sitter, make a list of the questions you want to ask. Find out how often they’ll visit and what they do each time. Ask about their experience with animals. Find out if they’ve ever had an emergency while pet sitting and how they handled it. If they have a written contract or agreement, read it over carefully to see what it covers.
- Consider boarding facilities. Some boarding facilities can be the best option for your pet. High end kennels can be the most comfortable place for your pet to stay. Some offer small group play, swimming, even webcams so you can check on your pet while you’re away.
Legacy Animal Medical Center provides expert care for dogs, cats, rabbits, and other pets. We offer medical services your pet needs to stay healthy, as well as boarding and grooming. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.